Monday, June 18, 2007

Italy Continued...

Sunday: We woke up and took a train to Rome. When we got here, we bought 3-day passes for the metro so that we can get around the city. I have never been in a more crowded or smelly situation in my life as the metro in Rome. We got to our hotel and checked in. Then we wandered around and tried to find a place to eat. We found a restaraunt that was open and decided to try it. We ordered the "special" which was far more food than I could eat: toast with tomatoes, then fried vegetables, then a huge pizza, then cake, plus (of course) coca-lite. Afterwards we went to see the Trevi Fountain,



the Pantheon,



and the Spanish steps.



We stopped for gelato and then went back to the hotel for a rest around 5:30. Our rest turned into sleeping for the night - the huge meal plus getting used to the heat of Rome wore us out! Good news - our 4th floor hotel here has air conditioning!
Monday: Went to St. Peter's Basilica. Saw where the Pope does his weekly addresses. Sadly, we won't be here on Wednesday for the next one.



We went inside and saw where they are supposed to have Peter entombed, plus the shroud of Christ, the nails, and the spear. It was a HUGE cathedral.


We tried to go to the Vatican Museum and the Sistene Chapel, but the line was too long. We'll get up and get in line early tomorrow. Then we went and ate at a random pizza place in residential Rome - I think they were annoyed with tourists coming into their local place. Then we went and saw the Colosseum,


the Roman Forum,


and Palatine Hill.
I'm taking lots of pictures, but I can't post any until I get home because I didn't bring my cord - plus most of the internet places don't let you hook anything up so that you won't give them a virus.
I'll post again in a few days - ciao!

4 comments:

Jack said...

Hi sunshine, find myself checking to see if you have posted. too bad they don't have email notification ! those out of the way local places are the best. they give you a sense why it really is like to live there. stay away from the tourist restaraunts. keep having fun. dropped Lisa off for her backpacking trip and YW Camp. Scott says he got his papers in last night. Should be a couple of weeks. be safe. Love, Dad

Jack said...

Need help with your accomodations, try this one http://www.dakloos.nl/index_uk.html

or can check the fodors and frommers websites

Love, Dad

bettyjh said...

Katie, I have found more details on your blog than Ashley's so I guess I will be a regular subscriber! I am glad that you girls are enjoying yourselves. Hold on to your wallets! Arivederci (SP?)

Anonymous said...

Katie-
Please check your gmail. I need your help with something real quick. Thanks
Love,Doug