Thursday, June 28, 2007

I smell.....

It is official...I smell. I guess that is to be expected when you live out of a backpack. Yesterday we were in a random train station in Hungary. Very close to me sat a homeless man and his mangy dog, yet I was the one with about 30 flies all over me while he and his dog had none. Hmmmm......
Tuesday: We took a train to Vienna, which of course was late in leaving and even later in arriving in Vienna, which meant that we missed our trian to Prague. That gave us a few hours in Vienna which we spent walking from the Westbahnhof to the Südbahnhof (West Train Station to South Train Station). While walking we ate at a schnitzel restaurant. I tried to order schnitzel but just got chicken fingers and french fries - oh well. We caught the next train to Prague. When we got there we found our Hotel and then just wandered around a little bit.
Wednesday: We took a train to a little city outside of Prague calle Kutna Hora. In the train station we met two boys from London named Ashley and Harry. They went with us to the Sedlec Ossuary. It was a really creepy church/crypt where the bones of 40,000 people are arranged in the form of pyramids, garlands, a chandelier and a coat of arms. Don´t worry, I took lots of pictures.
On the train on the way back we met an 68 year old man named Joe from Texas. His wife hates to travel and he goes to Europe every summer by himself. He had some really great stories to tell and even showed us a few places in Prague when we got off the train.
We went to this astronomical clock that is like a cuckoo clock. On the hour, statues of the apostles parade through the windows on the clock and a skeleton rings the bell. Apparantly the people of the Czech Republic really like skeletons. Then we went to the St. Charles Bridge, which was really pretty. We went back to the hotel pretty early since Prague gets really crazy at night.
Thursday: We took a train to Berlin. We figured out the Metro system, found our hotel, and then went to the Hard Rock Cafe. Although we are all having a great time, we are all just about ready to be done with the trip and needed something a little bit like home.
Tomorrow we plan on going to a concentration camp, and seeing some of the more famous Berlin sights on Saturday. Then on Sunday we will stop in Hamburg on our way to Dusseldorf. I hope to have a really great hamburger and pommes (fries) in Hamburg before I get home and the diet starts. Sunday night will be in Dusseldorf and Monday we will fly home to Las Vegas. It has been a great trip - I will try to blog again one last time before we leave.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Hi Katie,

I miss you so much! I didn't realize how much we talked on the telephone until I couldn't call you anymore. We have a lot of stories to share. I am so proud of you. Looking forward to your safe return.

Love always, Mom